Because the Russia-Ukraine warfare enters its 178th day, we check out the primary developments.
Listed below are the important thing occasions from Saturday, August 20.
- Russian forces have continued offensive operations within the course of Kramatorsk and Bakhmut, west of the Luhansk space held by pro-Russian separatists, the Basic Workers of the Armed Forces of Ukraine stated on Saturday morning.
- Blasts on the Saky airbase within the annexed Crimean peninsula this month have put greater than half of the Russian Black Sea Fleet’s naval aviation fight jets out of use, a Western official stated.
- The fleet is to obtain 12 new vessels alongside extra aviation and land-based automobiles this yr, newly appointed commander Vice Admiral Viktor Sokolov stated on Friday, state-owned TASS information company reported.
- Reuters couldn’t affirm battlefield studies independently.
- Russia has no ethical proper to take a seat on the Group of 20 nations whereas it presses on with its invasion of Ukraine, Britain’s international ministry has stated, hours after G20 host Indonesia stated President Vladimir Putin would attend the group’s November summit in Bali.
- Putin warned his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, that shelling of the Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy plant in southern Ukraine, which he blamed on Kyiv, may end in a large-scale catastrophe.
- Based on Macron’s workplace, Putin has agreed to an Worldwide Atomic Power Company mission to the plant.
- President Joe Biden’s newest safety help package deal for Ukraine consists of surveillance drones and, for the primary time, mine-resistant automobiles, a senior US defence official stated.