Because the Russia-Ukraine struggle enters its two hundredth day, we check out the primary developments.
Moscow abandoned its main bastion in northeastern Ukraine, an obvious collapse of one of many struggle’s principal entrance strains, after Ukrainian forces moved to encircle the world in a shock advance.
- Ukraine’s counteroffensive has liberated about 2,000sq km (700sq miles) of territory, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated.
- Ukrainian forces continued to make important positive factors within the Kharkiv area during the last 24 hours, the UK’s defence ministry stated.
- The Russian-installed chief administrator of Russian-controlled elements of Kharkiv advisable all its inhabitants evacuate to Russia “to avoid wasting lives”.
- Ukrainian forces established full management over the town of Balakliia, stated deputy defence minister Hanna Malyar.
- Russia’s defence ministry ordered troops to depart the world across the metropolis of Izyum in Kharkiv province, saying they might be despatched to strengthen operations elsewhere in neighbouring Donetsk.
- Ukrainian troops captured the town of Kupyansk, the only real railway hub supplying Russia’s entrance line throughout northeastern Ukraine, slicing 1000’s of Russian troops off from provides.
- Ukrainian police patrolling deserted cities are discovering containers of ammunition in heaps left behind by Russian troopers.
- Russia’s defence ministry stated its air power destroyed a Ukrainian radar monitoring station within the southern Mykolaiv area and 6 weapon and missile depots within the japanese and southeastern areas.
“To attain the said objectives of the special military operation for the liberation of Donbas, it was determined to regroup the Russian troops situated within the districts of Balakliia and Izyum for the aim of accelerating efforts within the Donetsk path,” Russia’s defence ministry stated.
- Ukraine’s atomic energy operator stated the final reactor at Europe’s largest nuclear energy plant has been shut down after it was reconnected to the electrical energy grid.
- Ukraine will look into whether or not it might urgently provide neighbouring Poland with 100,000 tonnes of thermal coal to assist it via the winter, Zelenskyy stated.
- Zelenskyy stated he instructed French President Emmanuel Macron in regards to the state of affairs on the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, calling for it to be “demilitarised”.
- Russia’s Gazprom stated it’ll ship 42.4 million cubic metres of pure gasoline to Europe by way of Ukraine.
- Britain dismissed as unfaithful Russian President Vladimir Putin’s assertion that solely a fraction of grain exported from Ukraine underneath a global deal was going to poor nations.
- Quoting UN figures, the British defence ministry stated about 30 p.c of grain exported underneath the deal has been provided to low and middle-income nations in Africa, the Center East and Asia.
- Putin stated final week that out of 87 ships, solely two, carrying 60,000 tonnes of merchandise, had gone to poor nations.
- Ukrainian overseas minister Dmytro Kuleba known as for extra weapons. “We’ve demonstrated we’re able to defeating the Russian military. We’re doing that with weapons given to us. And so I reiterate: the extra weapons we obtain, the quicker we are going to win, and the quicker this struggle will finish.”