The Ukrainian president says Vladimir Putin is the one Russian official he’s prepared to satisfy with a single concern on the agenda – to cease the battle.
- Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says that Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin is the one Russian official he’s prepared to satisfy, with the only real purpose of ending the battle.
- The Ukrainian chief additionally requires “most” sanctions in opposition to Russia, together with an oil embargo as he addresses world enterprise leaders on the World Financial Discussion board in Davos through video hyperlink.
- United States Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin says that some 20 nations had introduced new safety help packages for Ukraine throughout a digital assembly with allies.
- Ukraine says greater than 13,000 alleged Russian battle crimes are being probed whereas a court docket in Kyiv court docket sentences a 21-year-old Russian soldier to life in prison for killing an unarmed civilian.
- A Russian diplomat to the United Nations in Geneva resigns over the battle in Ukraine, in a uncommon signal of criticism in opposition to the Kremlin.
- Ukrainian officers say they’ve pushed again an try by Russian forces to storm Severodonetsk – a key metropolis for Moscow to achieve full management of the Donbas area.
Listed below are all the most recent updates:
‘By no means have I been so ashamed of my nation’: Russian diplomat resigns
A veteran Russian diplomat to the United Nations workplace in Geneva has handed in his resignation and despatched an announcement to international colleagues criticising the “aggressive battle unleashed” by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ukraine.
Boris Bondarev, who labored as a counsellor at Russia’s everlasting mission to the UN in Geneva, informed the Reuters information company: “I went to the mission like some other Monday morning and I forwarded my resignation letter and I walked out.”
Learn the complete story here.
Practically 90 killed in Desna assault
Chatting with world leaders who had been gathered for the World Financial Discussion board in Davos, Switzerland, Ukrainian President Zelenskyy additionally revealed Ukraine’s worst navy losses from a single assault of the battle, saying 87 individuals had been killed final week when Russian forces struck a barracks housing troops at a coaching base within the north.
Beforehand, Kyiv had mentioned eight individuals died within the Might 17 strike on the barracks within the city of Desna.
EU embargo on Russian oil ‘inside days’: German minister
The European Union will seemingly agree on an embargo on Russian oil imports “inside days”, German Economic system Minister Robert Habeck has informed broadcaster ZDF.
Habeck warned, nevertheless, that an embargo wouldn’t robotically weaken the Kremlin as rising costs had been enabling it to rake in additional revenue whereas promoting decrease volumes of oil.
Due to this fact, one consideration was to not pay “any worth” for oil, however to agree on higher limits, he mentioned. For that to work, nevertheless, many nations must get on board.
Some 20 nations commit new safety help for Ukraine: Pentagon chief
US Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin mentioned that some 20 nations had introduced new safety help packages for Ukraine throughout a digital assembly with allies on Monday that was aimed toward coordinating arms for Kyiv.
The nations that introduced new packages included Italy, Denmark, Greece, Norway and Poland, Austin informed reporters following a gathering of the Ukraine Protection Contact Group. Denmark would supply a harpoon launcher and missiles to defend Ukraine’s coast, Austin mentioned.
“Everybody right here understands the stakes of this battle,” Austin mentioned.
Ukraine’s Zelenskyy would meet Putin an finish to battle
Addressing by video hyperlink an viewers on the World Financial Discussion board in Davos, the Ukrainian president has mentioned that Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin was the one Russian official he was prepared to satisfy with the only real scope of ending the battle.
However Zelenskyy mentioned that arranging any form of talks with Russia was changing into tougher within the gentle of what he mentioned was proof of Russian actions in opposition to civilians beneath occupation.
He additionally informed the worldwide enterprise neighborhood that the world should improve sanctions in opposition to Russia to discourage different nations from utilizing “brute power” to realize their goals.
Hiya and welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the battle in Ukraine.
Learn all of the updates from Saturday, Might 23 here.